Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Crossing the Line

Dear Crawling Chloe,

I have been worrying that you weren't crawling well yet, you'd scoot; mostly backwards. When you were up on all fours, rocking back and forth and see me, you'd belly flop on the floor and paddle your arms like you were swimming. Then, you'd start to whine and I'd come to your rescue and bring you the toy you wanted. You let the cat out of the bag the other evening.

I was preparing dinner in the kitchen and you were in the living room watching beloved Baby Einstein. I heard the program end and the 20 seconds later, I heard a crash. I didn't hear you cry after the crash so I got scared. I thought you pulled a heavy candle off the coffee table and it knocked you out. Normally, a loud crashing sound would make you cry. I ran into the living room and what did I find? You, pulling out all the Baby Einstein DVDs from the TV stand and trying to push buttons on the DVD player. You saw me watching you and belly flopped to the floor and did the carpet swim. You were found out, caught Baby Einstein handed. The only way you got over there was by crawling and you knew I had your number.

For the rest of the day, I didn't come to your rescue when you wanted a toy or to move to a different part of the house. You started crawling within an hour because you had no other choice, I was not going to be your personal Fido and fetch everything for you because I knew you could do it.

You have started crawling after me. When you reach me, you'll grab ahold of my pant leg and pull yourself up. I walked across the foyer the other evening and you stopped in your tracks.

Photobucket

You'd only been crawling on the carpet and when you saw the hardwood floor, it blew your mind. You looked at the hardwood floor for about five minutes when you finally dared to touch it you let out a squeal; like you were a pig that got shocked by an electric fence.

Photobucket

This went on for ten minutes or more. The fear of crossing the line, that cold, hardwood floor. I was determined to work through this with you too so I went to the other side of the foyer and clapped my hands and called you.

Photobucket

You thought about it for long time, smiling at me, squealing with frustration. I promised the floor wasn't going to bite you. Then, I broke out the big gun, your monkey that whistles cat calls to you. While Jeremy tempted you with the monkey, I was able to capture you crossing the line for the very first time. Way to go Chloe!



I'm so proud and love you so very much,
Mama

No comments: