Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Breaking Out of Your Shell

Dear Baby Snail,

You are no longer the baby that would lay on a playmat or sit in your swing. You are ready to take on the world and are breaking out of your shell. You want to explore and try to taste everything. You are better at communicating what you want or need. Lately, you'll open up your arms and hold them up to me when you want me to take you. It breaks my heart when I have to leave you at Mrs. Y's some mornings. When I drop you off and walk away to leave for work, you'll frown, cry and hold out your chubby little arms complete with your jade bracelet begging me to take you.

Your cousin had a pool party this weekend. I decided to put on my swimming suit and take you swimming since you love the bath so much. You acted like the little mermaid. You looked like you were really trying to swim. You'd paddle your arms and kick your legs. I think I see the swim team in your future. You've always loved the water since you were able to get into the bath. You got too brave and dunked your face into the pool water and got water up your nose. This really scared you and I worried it would make you fear water. You're brave and fearless though. The next night at bath time, you were ready to swim again. I really struggle to keep you on your back in the tub. You want to flip to your belly and do the freestyle.
poolparty

You are an eating machine. Stage two baby food isn't enough anymore. It's too runny, you open your mouth and want me to pour it down your throat. Even though you still don't have teeth, you can chew. I've started to puree our dinner into a chunky mush and feed it to you. Last night, you had pork chops, sweet potatoes and green beans. Jeremy fed you the mush and you let out a shriek when he scraped the bowl to give you the last bite. I'm going to make you a chicken stew tonight. I know it will taste way better than that jarred stuff.

You read people well. You have a keen awareness of good and bad. Maybe you can feel unconditional love. You light up when Jeremy comes home. He knows how to play with you and make you laugh. The other morning, I asked him to keep an eye on you while I was taking a bath. I didn't hear you cry or whimper the entire time I was bathing. I thought that you got fussy and he took you outside so I could enjoy my private time. When I walked into the living room, you were fast asleep in his arms. He makes you feel loved and safe.

You are becoming a big girl. When we took you out to lunch, you were so proud of yourself when you sat in the high chair.

mexican 009

You pounded your chubby fists on the table demanded food. When the plates came out of the kitchen, you grabbed for them. You know all about eating now. I got some spicy ground beef but Jeremy had rice and beans on his plate. He shared his food with you and then you were wrapped. The way to your heart is through your stomach.
mexican 015

When we went to the grocery store, Jeremy wanted to carry you. This was another new experience because normally you are strapped to me, in your sling. As he walked through the store, I would turn around and see you in his arms and you shined like a Christmas tree. You watched me fill the cart with food and took in the world around you from another perspective. It was a new experience for me too because I have been used to caring for you all on my own. It is nice to watch you being loved by others'. It's nice to have help. It's nice to feel like a family. Maybe you sense my happiness and this is the reason why you have taken such a liking to him too.

I'm looking forward to all the fun times ahead, in a couple of weeks, we'll celebrate your first Halloween. I can't wait to dress you up in your costume.

mexican 006

I love you, my growing girl,
Mama

No comments: